John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrades In Around Town
Your Weekly Construction Briefing
BC Hydro has announced the companies that have submitted civil work bids for the John Hart Dam Seismic Upgrade Project.
The list of bidders includes:
- Aecon-EBC General Partnership
- Barnard Constructors of Canada LP
- FL JHD Constructors General Partnership
The civil work Request For Proposals bid submission deadline was extended several times over the last few months and finally closed on June 15. BC Hydro plans to award the contract in Fall 2022. Project construction is expected to start in summer 2023.
This project is the result of a six-year, $10 million ‘Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis’ study completed in 2014. The study assessed earthquake hazards at BC dams and related facilities. The study outcome was that significant capital upgrades would be required.
- Upgrade the earthfill and concrete dam to improve seismic performance, including:
- Placing upstream and downstream earthfill berms.
- Adding a seepage cutoff wall (impermeable wall) where required within the earthfill sections to act as the seepage barrier.
- Anchoring of the concrete dam structures.
- Upgrading the concrete roadway.
- Construct permanent flood and flow imbalance risk mitigation upgrades including:
- Adding an overflow spillway below the road deck.
- Replacing the three spillway gates and related works, such as the hoist system, so they can safely and more reliably pass water in a controlled manner downstream post-earthquake.
- Install new equipment and upgrades to the existing protection and control equipment to meet current reliability standards, including improved post-earthquake operation.
For information on jobs and subcontractor opportunities, visit majorprojects.ca.
Building Links Construction Reports and Statistics: The weekly #1 construction projects resource for 27 years. New and updated projects, permits, tenders, and industry connections for Vancouver Island – Central North, West Coast and Powell River. Helping you build connections so you can build communities! Where are you getting your information from? Support local trades – Subscribe Now!