Around Town: John Hart Project Update And Schedule
I visited the John Hart Information Centre last month and took in the view from the new suspension bridge over Elk Falls . It is spectacular! Inside the information centre, there is a large map showing the potential new changes to the John Hart Dam.
Here are some timelines for the project schedule that have been posted on the BC Hydro site:
- February 2015 to 2016: Main access tunnel excavation
- March-December 2015: Powerhouse vertical excavation
- April 2015 to 2016: Intake access earthworks
- April-August 2015: Pile drilling for cofferdam installation at dam site
- July: Demolition of existing warehouse behind generating station
- Late summer/early fall: Site preparation work will begin for the new surge tank
- Late August: Tree removal near new tailrace
- Fall/Winter 2015: Power tunnel excavation begins
As of June 2015 there are 194 employees on this project and 174 working in Campbell River. The total worker hours are 410,000.
- Increasing number of carpenters, labourers during this period. Iron workers and boilermakers to begin in early 2016
- About 100 vendors on Vancouver Island used to supply services to the project, with about 90 local companies provided/providing supplies/services to date.
For more information, to the BC Hydro website at: www.bchydro.com or contact Stephen Watson, at email@example.com
Receive up to date information on building permits, tenders, proposed developments and construction news for the Comox Valley, Campbell River, Port Hardy, Powell River and more locations on the North Island.Click here for 4 FREE Issues