Around Town Construction Industry Statistics
The BC Construction Association (BCCA) and industry partners launched BC Construction Month with the release of key construction sector statistics and the results of a province-wide survey that highlight the value of the sector to the provincial economy and the key issues facing employers and workers.
Sponsored by BCCA, WorkSafe BC, and others, BC Construction Month celebrates the many contributions B.C.’s construction industry makes across our province, in every community, every day. The April launch also featured the debut of a worksite behaviour change campaign called “Don’t Be A Tool”.
The value of the construction industry’s economic contribution is evident in the latest statistics, including:
- Construction is the No. 1 employer in B.C.’s goods sector
- More than 242,000 people rely directly on B.C.’s construction industry for a paycheque. That’s 10% of the workforce and more than any other sector.
- Number of credentialed tradespeople: 180,300
- Number of construction companies in BC: 25,432 (5-year trend: Up 14%)
- Value of proposed construction projects in British Columbia: $261 billion
For more statistics and details visit www.bccassn.com/stats.
Except from BCCA April Press Release
Receive up-to-date information on building permits, tenders, proposed developments and construction news for the Comox Valley, Campbell River, Port Hardy, Powell River and more locations on the North Island.